Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Amigurumi Red Dragon

Eeep! All About Ami put my first dragon in her blog! :) I am so honored! You guys should go check it out because there are some awesome pics of other dragons that people have made using her pattern. 
Here is my latest commission. :)


Let me tell you a little about what I had to go through with this dragon. :p

This is for my guy friend who has been in the army for about 8 years. He's a war veteran and loves dragons. He actually has 2 dragon tattoos, one fire and one ice. He is going back for another year long training so I had to finish it up soon. The first thing he told me when he saw my green dragon was to make him a red one because that was his favorite color. How could I say no? 

My first love is beading so I wanted to use bugle beads to help make the scales pattern on his tummy. But then I realized that I didn't have red bugle beads or red embroidery floss. :( Use what you have right? So I took the yarn I used to make the dragon, separated the strands like you would with embroidery floss and used an embroidery needle to sew on the scales and the details on the wings. It worked out pretty well. :)

I  also wanted the dragon to have wings so I decided to add ears. But first I drew a sketch of the wings and cut out 2 pieces per wing. Then I stitched around using the yarn. I stuffed it a little with polyfill and then stitched the inside "veins". I had crochet 2 ears from another dragon I saw online but my friend didn't like it. He wanted pointy ears. Well, I drew out what I thought would be cute and he took the pencil and drawing away and re-drew it. :p Well, the guy knows what he wants.

Wing and ear templates
Close up of the wings and spikes
I added spikes down his back because the gap between the wings was a little weird to me. I like how it looks with the spikes better.

Close up of the head design
Then came the headache with his head piece. I had originally stopped at the dragon just having ears and 4 horns but my friend didn't want 4 horns. Sadly, my friend wanted a mohawk of horns down the center of his head so I told him that I had to make another one. :p I've learned my lesson. pin down everything and get approval before gluing anything down.

Boys are so picky! But after you get your emotions up, they get all reasonable and compromised. The thing is, they don't do it for you, they do it because they don't want to wait for their toy. So he says he wants me to just put in a separate mohawk down the middle with the points like the wings. I got it. Translated, he means scalloped. So, I make it and all he says is that it's "Acceptable". I just wanted to hit him over the head with the darn dragon. It did turn out really cute. And then he says he wants more horns, that wants them in graduated sizes going down, and to have them come to a point at the end of the mohawk. He's worse than a gay hairdresser. Dang man, make your own then. :p You know, he would probably say, he could make one better if he did. Boys Suck! LOL


I should have taken a picture of all the different versions/steps to this guy. His head looks different from my first dragon because I used a smaller crochet hook and the stitches are tighter. I do have to tell you that when I first stuffed his head, it looked really funky. I had to take out all the stuffing and do it over to get the head to look nice. That just shows you the power of stuffing and shaping when you are making an amigurumi. It was a good learning experience for me. :)

I showed off this little guy to my cousin. She said that far away he looks mean but when you see him up close, you can tell he's smiling and that he's really a sweetie. :) But when I showed it to my friend, he says that the dragon finally looked aggressive enough for him. Ugh! Boys! LOL He does like him and thanked me. :)



All in all, I love his cute mohawk and I think he is adorable! LOL But I think I am done with the dragon for a little while. :p Onto another of Stephanie's cute designs! :) Yea! hehe

2 comments:

  1. You did a super job! I love the wings and the spikes. Lots of work put into this but it was all worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen! And thanks for sticking with me while I go through this amigurumi phase. :)

      Delete