Thursday, August 25, 2011

Experiments

I just wanted to post this real quick to show that as a beader, you will make mistakes on your color choices. hehe So here are two experiments that have failed and one that I love. I really don't like experiments that fail because all that time would've been lost for the main part. But you can always learn. I am not big on experimenting with color but it is fun when it comes together beautifully.

The stitch I used for the pink and blue experiments is a variation of a variation of the spiral stitch. hehe I learned this stitch from my beading friend, Sylvia, 5 years ago. INMcrystal has a tutorial on the basic variation on their Aqua Purple Haze Bracelet page. I just took lengths of the basic variation and changed it so that it would be stitched sideways. I did this stitch years ago but the bracelet was all black and now lost so, I thought I would try it in color.


3 Pinks Bracelet

I think this bracelet is gorgeous!!! It is so sparkily from the silver lined seed beads. The color works really well too. Here I used 3 shades of pink: rose, light rose, and Rosaline 4mm Swarvoski Crystals. You have to use the same color seed bead throughout the bracelet so the crystal colors have to work with the seed bead color. I have not finished off the bracelet just yet but will post it when it's done, whenever that is. hehe


One unit of the 3 Blues variation

 Sorry for the fuzzy picture. I need to get a new digital camera too. :P

3 Blues variation of a variation of a variation of spiral stitch..hehe
I took units of the stitch used on the pink bracelet and put them on top of each other to try a different color combination. It was hard and I don't like how it turned out. Next time, I will shorten the units and zig zag the colors more structurally/not so randomly. I will also write out the color change so that I can take the stitch down the whole length of the bracelet and then back up so it would be easier to make. I had to redo the stitching 3 times to get it to connect correctly. :P I really hate redoing stitching.

Rainbow "Starlight" Bracelet
Here is an experiment that allowed me to experiment in color but on a smaller quicker scale. I made this because I wanted a bracelet with the colors of the rainbow: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet. I needed one more "star" so I added the neutral black and white. I don't like it very much. It is just a bit awkward. I also don't like how the "stars" are connected. Next time, I will try to use crystals to connect the units. I do like the orange, purple, and black "stars" though. I will probably do a bracelet with the black and white "stars" in the future. I think it would be cute but sophisticated at the same time. :)

So, the lesson for today, the moral of my story, is to experiment and have fun. :) Turn stitches sideways or put them together in a different way. You never know what you might learn or love. hehe  That is a good life lesson too... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment