Saturday, October 15, 2011

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month

October is the start of the holiday season for most people, but not for me. I like to think September is because that is the month of my birthday. :) October is also breast cancer awareness month, contains Columbus day, and many others which you can read about here. Why do I tell you all of this? Because it helped me figure out how to finish my pink experimental bracelet as seen in my post called Experiments

Opportunity Knocked
 The bracelet was pink and Breast Cancer Awareness is symbolized by the color pink. Therefore it was logical that I finish this bracelet as a Breast Cancer awareness bracelet. I just added an awareness ribbon charm to the middle of the bracelet. I think it would cute to do a rainbow bracelet and add ribbon for all the awareness ribbons and months. For a list of all the awareness ribbons and their colors, click here.

Finished bracelet
 I added a seed bead to every other space along the top and bottom edges to make a scalloped effect. I also finished off the sides with more seed beads, using the same stitch but leaving out the crystal.

Close up of the awareness ribbon
I didn't realize until just now that silver ribbon is Brain Cancer awareness, but I think it still works. I love how the slight shading in the pinks makes this bracelet more interesting. 

Christmas Eeyore getting into the spirit
I had recently read an article saying that we should make our Christmas present jewelry during November and give them out during Thanksgiving so that our friends and family can wear it though out the Christmas season. I say we need to start even earlier. Panda's Tip of the Day: start in September. Start making your Halloween jewelry and crafts in September so they can be enjoyed all October. During October, make your fall/Thanksgiving jewelry and crafts. Then during November, you can make and give the winter/Christmas stuff. Fall/Winter is a very busy time. It's always nice to stop procrastinating and get started early. hehe

1 comment:

  1. You never cease to amaze me with your talent with seed beads! I have enough trouble working with them in some of my cross stitch patterns let alone trying to make jewelry out of them!

    Love the bracelet and your 'opportunity knocks' photo!

    To answer your question, yes I LOVE to research (my sister thinks I'm bonkers!), but I don't get to do it that often at work :*(

    ReplyDelete