Saturday, September 24, 2011

MelBee's first dinner party

One of my closest friends, we will call her MelBee, just had her first dinner party. She hasn't really cooked a lot, not her fault by the way, but she is making up for it. :) She found an easy Thai shrimp recipe. I taught her how to clean, de-vein, and butterfly the shrimp. Does anyone de-vein the bottom vein on the shrimp? Her boyfriend made the marinade for the shrimp with the recipe. My other friend cooked the shrimp while her boyfriend cooked mushrooms as a side dish. The mushrooms were so so good but with 4 mushroom lovers, two boxes of mushrooms seemed almost just enough. hehe The mushrooms were sauted with garlic, hot pepper, and hoisen sauce. We realized that the rice was forgotten so MelBee cooked Indonesian noodles. I added the sauce. :) I love Indonesian dry noodles, they Rock! :)

Shrimp marinating with the recipe
Good sweet white wine from Walgreens of all places

 So that we don't get too tipsy, we had sparkling apple cider as well. :)

   
Dutch meatball
 MelBee had made Dutch meatballs with her mom the night before. Lucky me because I was really hungry..hehe

Beautiful Table
Close up of the yummy food
 Not pictured, the dessert! I bought an assortment of yummy mochi and puddings from the Phoenix Food Boutique. They were a hit. :)

I am very proud of my friend even though the only thing she really cooked was the noodles. hehe But she did a great job with finding the recipe and cleaning the shrimp with me. It was another great night of really yummy food and good conversation with good friends. :) Yea MelBee! It was a really really yummy dinner! :)

P.S. I hope to soon learn how to make Thai sticky rice from my friend's housemates. hehe:)


3 comments:

  1. Wow, that table setting looks beautiful. You guys did a great job. I'm glad her first dinner party went well.

    Yes, you are suppose to de-vein the shrimp (I'm sure I don't need to tell you what is in the vein and that you shouldn't cook the shrimp with it still attached)!! My sister's friend moved up to Boston and she said that none of her co-workers knew that you were suppose to de-vein the shrimp!! Very disturbing when you consider the fact that they are suppose to be really into cooking seafood, etc. You think they would know better!

    Anywho, thanks for sharing the beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Silly Bunny,

    I know you are suppose to de-vein the shrimp. My question was do you guys do both top and bottom veins or just the top one? I was butterflying the shrimp as well so I just left the bottom vein alone or the shrimp would have just fallen apart. :P

    My mom does it really quick. After taking off the shell, she sticks a tooth pick in perpendicular to the shrimp's back and just pulls up and out pops the vein. :) It is kinda neat to watch...hehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. I asked my mother and she said that you only need to remove the mud vein. You don't have to worry about the other ones.

    ReplyDelete