Saturday, September 24, 2011

Fall Floral Brooch in Progress

It is Fall. Since I miss the color from the dieing leaves, I am trying to make some beaded jewelry from the colors of Fall. This the first experiment with these colors. :)

My Fall color Inspiration

Finished Flower
I used the same pattern for the flower center as the one in my friend, Glee's red and green bracelet. I started with brown and yellow. Then I added the red. I wanted to add some orange bicones but it didn't allow the shape of the petals to come through. Sorry for the strings, I haven't attached all the parts together yet. As you can see, the center sticks up due to the Swarovski crystal cube in a crystal or clear color. I used a mixture of reds for the petals. I think it came out well but more Indian than Fall.


Finished Flower Top View
It looked kinda plain so I decided to add a leaf. I google searched for "Russian Leaf Instructions". I picked this easy version using the St. Petersburg stitch because the size was a better fit. Here is the link to the instructions if you guys would like to try it. I used bugle beads instead of seed beads in the middle.


Flower and Leaf Top View
I am currently questioning whether or not to add a second leaf to the other side. Any opinions on the matter?
 I do feel that if I do add a second leaf, I might have to change it from a brooch to a hair clip.

Angled View
Side View
Sadly, this brooch doesn't seem to fallish. Please let me know what you guys think of the colors and the second leaf matter. :) Your opinions matter. :)

On a more personal note. As I was trying to take a pic of this, I realized that the strings on the leaf had my needles still attached and that I was missing one needle. Ooops. That's what happens when it's hard to thread the needle so I just keep it on a project that I have not finished. :P After an exhaustive search I still have not found the missing needle. :( Hopefully my feet or someone else's feet do not find the missing needle. I will search again tomorrow.
Panda's Tip of the Day
If you are going to keep needles on the string on an unfinished project, stick the needle in place onto your beading mat or a pin cushion or needle holder so that as you pick up your piece, you realize that there is a needle still on there. hehe Or you could just take the needles off each time to be safe but I do not like stringing needles. :p hehe

1 comment:

  1. I love your 'panda's tip of the day.' I actually lost a needle while cross stitching a month ago or so and I ended up stepping on it!!!! Ouch! Hopefully, you will find yours before that happens!

    I think you might be right about the colors. It has more of an Indian feel to it than fall. But it is still quite lovely. You should search online or browse beading magazines at a bookstore and see what colors they are using for the fall :)

    Thanks for the post on my pumpkin spice cupcakes. They are yummy. When I bake, I always wish I lived closer to you so you could try some too :)

    Yes, we have those Halloween stores, but I haven't seen anything that really has caught my eye in terms of a costume this year.

    To answer your shrimp question, I think you are suppose to de-vein completely, but then again when you search on Google it says to devein at the top. It doesn't mention another vein?!

    ReplyDelete